Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disorder characterized by loss of memory and cognitive decline. Symptoms develop slowly and worsen over time, gradually interfering with their ability to carry out daily routines.
Alzheimer’s disease accounts to 60-80% of dementia cases. As the disease progresses, memory loss and intellectual decline worsens, affecting their ability to respond to their immediate environment.
Specialists agree that Alzheimer’s most likely develops as a result of growing old, heredity patterns, background and more. Managing other chronic conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes can be of great help in managing Alzheimer’s.
Healthy Mind and Healthy Body
While there is still no cure for dementia, there has been a collective effort among researchers to identify how to reduce its risks. Recent studies suggest a few interventions that can help beat the possibility of acquiring dementia. Majority of which are major lifestyle changes, which includes diet, physical, mental and social activities.
Here are 8 methods that can help outsmart dementia:
1. Keeping a balanced diet
Eating 3-5 meals a day in controlled portion sizes, containing fruits and vegetables, is highly recommended. The science behind small meals throughout the day is that this practice can help control blood sugar levels that can greatly affect the brain’s health.
Certain foods like dark berries, green tea, ginger, fatty fish, blueberries, and soy are believed to shield the glial cells from degeneration. Researchers confirm that these glial cells play a very significant role in cleaning synaptic and neuronal debris that may contribute to Alzheimer’s development. These cells are also sometimes referred to as immune cells or cleaning cells.
Exercise has been identified as a key ingredient to lower the threats posed by Alzheimer’s. Cardio and strength training increase the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain and may ultimately be part of a greater help to the cells. Finding a medically conventional way of exercising can also be invaluable in taking care of your physical and mental health.
As they say, a healthy body equals a healthy mind. Diet is a massive part of managing Alzheimer’s with fruits and vegetables & lots of whole grain foods being hugely beneficial. Foods that are dripping with fats such as butter should be avoided as they’re known for cholesterol and can only degenerate your Alzheimer’s conditions.
2. Ready, set, exercise
Some cases of dementia are triggered by vascular diseases. To reduce this risk, people can resort to increasing their physical activity. This, in turn, will result in good blood circulation and oxygen flow in the body, thus keeping your heart healthy. If there is enough blood flow towards the brain, it shuns the possibility of brain damage related to dementia. The usual recommendation of thirty minutes of daily exercise can also be coupled with meditation as it is another form of brain exercise.
3. Sunshine on my shoulders
Vitamin D can be obtained from certain foods, supplements, and sunlight. A new study linked vitamin D deficiency to the development of dementia. Participants in this study with severely inadequate levels of vitamin D in the body, showed an increased risk of advancing to a cognitive disorder. It was also found that this vitamin activates a certain cellular, signaling that aids in clearing plaque build-up in the brain.
As social beings, humans can’t thrive outside community interactions. Our brains are not designed to operate in isolation. So, making friends who you can share your day-to-day problems with can come useful when it comes to preventing mental diseases like Alzheimer’s.
5. Use it or lose it
It’s not just physical exercise that is important but mental exercise too. Keeping your mind stimulated by pursuing learning and engaging in mentally challenging tasks helps to keep your brain healthy and strong.
6. Getting Enough Zzzz’s
Not sleeping adequately or deprived sleeping habits have proven to be some of the causes of Alzheimer’s. It was established that sleeping well can cleanse poisons in the brain. If you experience mood swings after a bad night of not sleeping well, your chances of suffering Alzheimer’s are higher.
While 65% of risk factors for dementia are non-modifiable, the good news is that the other 35% can be impacted by making changes to your lifestyle. Reducing the risk Alzheimer’s requires adjusting to certain lifestyle patterns – such as ensuring a healthy diet and including daily exercise.
If lifestyle changes are enacted as early as possible, this could vastly improve the quality of life of people, as well as their families. The small changes add up and can make a stark difference. Watching your diet, committing to regular exercise, socializing, learning, and quitting the bad habits will help strengthen the brain.