National Poison Prevention Week is an opportunity to highlight the dangers of poisonings for people of all ages and promote community involvement in poisoning prevention. As pharmacists, you can do your part by educating your patients on two main poison causes:
- Medication Safety
There are four basic rules for medication safety that everyone should know and follow
- Be sure to read and follow the medicine label every time
- Be sure to never share your medicine with someone else or use someone else’s medicine
- Take only one medicine at a time with the same active ingredient
- Store all medicines up and away and out of reach and sight
- Proper Disposal of Medications
While it is normally not one of the first causes that comes to mind, it is none the less important. Some people still believe it is best to flush their expired medications or even throw them out which can lead to an accidental poisoning. You can advise your patients of drop off locations or community take-back days.
Similarly, it is important for you to dispose of your expired medications as pharmacists. Luckily, Guaranteed Returns (GRx) has been servicing pharmacies for over 35 years. Learn more about how partnering with GRx can benefit you and your pharmacy.