In these times of uncertainty, the value put on a simple act of kindness can go a million miles. We teach our children to be kind and try to remember to do our best each day to carry kindness with us, but we also must remember that kindness goes a long way in the workplace as well.
Kindness is not always seen as a priority in the office, especially when it comes to the traditional image of a successful businessperson. Office culture is known to be sometimes cutthroat and competitive, leading to hurt feelings, lack of collaboration, and miscommunication. However, a new shift focusing on the importance of company culture and well-being in the workplace is revolutionizing these misconceptions.
Since kindness is the foundation to creating a better work environment, we wanted to share our top ten ways to promote kindness in the workplace.
- Go out of your way to help a colleague in need
- Organize a company volunteer day with a local charity
- Share your expertise – help mentor a new employee
- Smile. Yep, it’s that simple.
- Congratulate someone on their accomplishments
- Start each group huddle with a positive affirmation
- Treat a colleague to a cup of coffee
- Create a suggestion box and really listen to what employees say
- Send a note of thanks to a co-worker’s manager when they’ve been particularly helpful.
- Relay the positive feedback you heard about someone’s work if they weren’t there to hear it first-hand
Be Kind. Be Humble. Work Hard.